Saturday, April 30, 2016

The Seasons of Wither

Well, the Beltane ritual was... unsettling to be honest.

To begin at the beginning, as I discussed previously, I was invited to be a participant in the ritual/celebration personally by Lady Rowan. I believe, or did at the time of the invitation, that this was done as a courtesy, possibly as a way to mend some fences, or a reciprocity of my invitation for her to have a satellite office on Vanishing Point. It now seems there was, perhaps, a deeper purpose in the invitation.

I will not recount much of the arcane details of the ritual, itself, as I couldn't possibly do such.... hocus pocus justice in my words, especially since I have little understanding, or patience, for that matter, on the mystic rites of the Sisterhood. I won't deny their abilities, as I have seen them first hand, however, I have no trust of that which I cannot quantify scientifically. To my mind, there is no such thing as unknowable... simply unknown.

The ritual did appear, at first, to be proceeding as expected, though that is merely supposition on my part, as I had no idea what was ACTUALLY expected.

There were fancy, flowery words said, drums beaten and dancing, which, while clearly part of an arcane rite, I will admit, i found enjoyable, though, clearly, Bast wasn't very amused.

It was during the dancing that several, indescribably energy emanations began to form which were dramatic and all, but, mostly a light show.

It was the sudden appearance of an abstract entity in the form of some kind of faun-god that caused things to go pear-shaped, at least as far as I could tell.

The entity claimed to be SernĂ¼nnos, the mythological aspect of the wild huntsman and embodiment of chaos. I can't discount the possibility that this is his true identity, but I am skeptical. I don't have faith in the existence of such higher order (no pun intended) beings.

The entity proceeded to rage and bluster at the Pythia before eventually calming... to a degree.

At this point, I must concede the fact that my mind was mostly preoccupied with calming Bast as much as I could, as the overwhelming thought in her mind was the urge to blindly attack. I find that perhaps as disturbing as what happened next in the Sanctum, as Bast has not once, since her evolution, felt the pull of her more base instincts.

However, I was aware enough of the situation in the Sanctum to see that Rowan, after conversing with the entity, took it upon herself to leave with it.

I am not unfamiliar with matter transference as a mode of transit, and, while not having run a scan on my wrist thingy, I am quite certain that's what we witnessed. The end result, however, was as intended, I'm sure, by the entity.

They both vanished.

I have a history with the Sisterhood. I do know they function, essentially, on a different level than most Time Lords. Tuned into a different frequency, to, again, inexplicably borrow a Terran parlance. I don't pretend to understand them.

I do know, however, that I cannot trust things that occur within that Sanctum at face value.

The appearance of an "embodiment of chaos"... The disappearance of the Pythia... The arrival of the wild huntsman...

It is claimed by the Dreamers that this was prepared for by Rowan.

I cannot help but think, however, I was personally invited to this occurrence as a way of delivering some kind of veiled message to me.

It is clear that there must be a way of tracking her. Since I don't believe it wise to hold as much faith in the arcane as the Sisterhood does, I'm going to... try to keep an eye on her from Vanishing Point.

No comments:

Post a Comment