Saturday, April 9, 2016

If I Only had a Positronic Neural Net

The design work and planning for the new Vanishing Point has begun. It's surprising how many improvements I'm able to incorporate now that I have the ability to build it from scratch using proper Time Lord technology.

The main systems are all a quantum super-leap over the previous station. Sensors, communications, temporal back-up... all thousands of years more advanced than the earlier incarnation. Even the transmat system has been improved to the point that the old one might as well have been a covered wagon.

The non-time-space bubble in which the previous Vanishing Point was situated has finally stabilized, and so construction will be there.

Early in the planning phase of this project, I realized the true advantage of the upgraded systems. Artificial Intelligence.

I realize that some may think this idea foolish, given the fate of the earlier station, however, the is, dare I say, method to my madness (at least in this instance).

The Cyberiad code which had infested Vanishing Point I had proven completely incapable if infecting the Time Lord components of the station. This station will be composed entirely of said components. An artificial intelligence designed with Time Lord technology and systems would be equally impervious to that code. It would also give the station the ability to actively fight back against any such digital incursion.

Also, any remnant of the Cyberiad code was obliterated when Vanishing Point I was destroyed, but that's a different matter.

So, I am going to install an advanced AI on Vanishing Point II.

There is, however, one small hitch to my plan.

My skills with designing and creating artificially intelligent systems is slightly superior to my skills with weaving straw into planet-destroying super weapons, which is to say... non-existent.

So, I have been in contact with Rasa, from Arcal. The creation and programming of AI are amoung his specialties. I will admit, I contacted him based on reputation, as I have not encountered his expertise in this matter, myself. I can only hope it's not on par with his TT Capsule piloting. (Rasa, if you've accessed these logs, I kid.)

My hope is that Rasa with be able to design an AI capable of running the station autonomously, keeping life support, gravity, etc running while making any adjustments necessary to the trans-dimensional anchor keeping the station stable in its non-time-space bubble.

And to serve drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment