Friday, April 29, 2016

Fleet Week

I have mentioned before (as did the Gold Usher in her communique to me) my penchant for restoring and flying conventional spacecraft. A hobby, of course, but something I've become quite skilled at.

I've previously talked about Asteria, my first full-sized starship, and Helios, my private "yacht", as well as Asteria's shuttle, Konshu. But these are not my only ships.

Over the years, I have found and rebuilt numerous classic spacecraft and kept them either in my personal employ, given them to friends, of kept them in the service of Patrex.

I've found these derelict hulks adrift in various sectors, in various states of repair (or lack of repair) but always abandoned. No crew, no sign of what happened to them, just... floating through space. There seems to be nothing linking them in terms of location, etc...

But there IS something that has been nagging at me.

These ships all seem to have been constructed using a unified philosophy. Tachyon pulse drives of various sophistication or ion drives. Nearly identical navigation systems. Even the hull configurations bear an almost familial connection in their elegance.

It causes me to wonder...

Is there, somewhere, a space-bourne society from whose fleet these ships hail?



And, if so... Will they come looking for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment