As I said, I am, finally, once again a member of a Great House, but I traveled, for a time, as a renegade. During this time, I found myself in some very... interesting places. It became apparent that I was not the only Time Lord who was not part of... polite New Gallifreyan society.Most of them have, in some way or another, assisted me in survival during my time as a renegade.
When I was named Ordinal of Patrex, Lord President Phaon gave me authority to offer House membership to these wayward individuals, and so, the ranks of Patrex grow...
First, there's Dracony.
Dracony is one of my oldest associates, at least that I can remember.. He was a member of the Jade Dreamers with me. While I was their Castellan, he served as the Commander of the House Guard under me. He is, perhaps, one of the few people I can truly consider a friend. And yet, I couldn't help him... I digress.
Dracony, like so many here, started out life in N-Space. On Gallifrey, he followed his passion to medicine, a doctor of some renown, with a dedication to the people of Gallifrey that few could match. At the outset of the war with the daleks, he volunteered to serve as a medic, but the war was far more devastating than any anticipated. He found himself acting more and more a soldier, though it contradicted his devotion to life. Each battle took another piece of his spirit.
At some point during the war, a weapons malfunction tore the barriers of dimensions asunder, hurtling Dracony into SL-Space. Some would say this was by design of the Abbott or some other Guardian, but, after all I've seen... I'm not sure I believe in the design of higher beings... regardless...
Dracony, as I said, served as my Guard Commander in the Jade Dreamers. During that time, he proved himself over and over.
Unfortunately, this seemed to make him a prime target for my future self. He became the most profound victim of Tethseram, being deliberately targeted twice.
The first time was actually Tethseram's first strike. Dracony was killed by a time displaced hoard of barbaric Terrans, forcing him to regenerate. Unfortunately, this was neither the last, nor the worst attack on him by Tethseram.
Sometime thereafter, while on a mission I sent him on (the guilt I feel for this is beyond description), his TT Capsule was targeted and pulled out of SL-Space to Vanishing Point. There, Dracony was repeatedly subjected to torture, brought to the very edge of regeneration before being allowed to heal JUST enough to survive.
When we stopped Tethseram and took Vanishing Point, Dracony was rescued. There are no words to express the relief I felt at that time to find my old friend had survived.
It is for this reason, he was my first invitation to Patrex
No comments:
Post a Comment