Since returning to the general service of New Gallifrey, but before being accepted into Patrex, I tried to earn some form of atonement, even if only from myself, by starting work on re-purposing Vanishing Point.
For the record, Tethseram was clearly a technological genius on a level I never thought I could reach. The fact that Vanishing Point functioned at all, let alone as impressively as it did, was nothing short of miraculous, given the fact that I am fairly certain it was constructed using rejected spare parts from old horse carts.
Still, though, given access to proper Time Lord technology, I have been able to retrofit the systems, even making a few improvements. I suppose rebuilding all those classic spacecraft taught me a thing or two.
The first system to enter full testing was Temporal Control. Since the systems were built into the station, it only made sense to bring them online, even simply to act as a back-up site to the Citadel's.
The initial live test was scheduled and, I must admit, could have gone much more smoothly. The systems occasionally shorted and the accuracy was... close, but not quite all there.
Also, on more than one occasion I had to smash a few panels with a spanner.
The test was meant to be completely routine, with Primary Temporal Control shadowing my readings allowing me to make calibrations on the fly.
However, I picked something unusual up on my scans.
It was clearly a TT Capsule, but I couldn't read any identification signals, so New Gallifrey went into a guarded mode (Such a mode wasn't necessary for Vanishing Point. Given its existence in a non-space/time bubble, one can only get there once their TTC is registered with the station).
Communication, though it took some time, was finally established and the Capsule was identified as Studera, the TTC of Henry Parker.
Henry had been thought lost after the great cataclysm at New Gallifrey that destroyed the old Panopticon.
It turned out, however, that he'd been sent adrift, Studera's navigation systems damaged to the point of merely functioning on an instinctual level.
I point this out so it can be understood how it came to pass that Henry had picked up a passenger prior to being spotted by us. With Henry, was Matthew Jane.
To understand why the previous statement actually makes sense, it would probably be important to know that Matthew and Henry are two of a trio of brothers.
Once we had established contact, we were able to bring their somewhat damaged capsule to New Gallifrey, where it was also found that the somewhat lengthy period of time they had been travelling, essentially, blind, had... somewhat worn down their sense of reason. I can only hope that recovers, at least some.
It was determined, given their states of mind, it would be important to release them into the care of the person most capable of helping in their recovery.
A physician of considerable skill.
And their other brother.
Dracony.
No comments:
Post a Comment