Recently, I was en route to Idare with The Collector for a survey of the local libations. At the request of Chancellor Phaon, we side-tracked to New Gallifrey to bring him aboard.
As part of his new position, he wants to meet with all House Cardinals for a fairly standard update on the goings on of the various Houses, and, obviously, Patrex, being newly reinstated, and his own House, was high on his list of priorities.
His request to meet aboard Bifrost, however, was, I must admit, unusual. Phaon's usual protocol is to have people come to his office in the Citadel.
Even still, as unusual a request as this was, being the Cardinal of a recently recognized Chapter, I felt it best not to... rock the boat, so to speak.
And so, I materialized Bifrost on New Gallifrey and invited the Chancellor on board.
The usual small talk and pleasantries were exchanged, as expected. I did notice, however, he seemed distracted.
I've known Phaon for a long time and I think I have a fair grasp on his usual demeanor and behaviours. Never in all my years have I seen him not sharply aware of all that was around him, but this day he seemed, to use a Terran colloquialism, a little spaced out. I'm not sure that The Collector noticed, but I was acutely aware of the situation.
After the expected discussion of the current state of Patrex, he surprised me a bit by asking about Bifrost. Specifically about her "passengers", by which, I understood him to mean the Narwhals.
I should, at this time, explain the Narwhals, I suppose.
The "Narwhals" is my euphemism for a the denizens of the pocket universe which has had its entire existence collapsed into a single instant and has been physically contained within Bifrost to serve as a power source. I don't remember how this happened, as it occurred prior to my entry into SL-space, but it DID happen.
The sentient life-forms within this compressed universe (dubbed "Mad-space" by some) have latched themselves to my mind via the telepathic circuits in Bifrost, creating a constant din in my head.
I digress.
Phaon, after having asked me about them, proceeded to inform me that he sensed Bifrost had something to say.I found this statement somewhat odd, as, even though Bifrost and I have had our issues in the past, she has rarely (so far as I know) hidden information from me.
He asked me to bring him to the Eye of Madness. Normally, I keep the location of the Eye a secret as it takes a very powerful psychic mind in order to commune with it and not have a psychotic break. Phaon has one of the most power telepathic minds I've encountered, however, so I showed him to the Eye.
He spent several minutes communing with it (from experience. I can tell you that, to him, it likely felt like centuries) and then asked me to close it.
It seems that Bifrost, by way of the Eye (or, perhaps, it's vice versa) showed the Chancellor my destiny is NOT to become Tethseram (a great relief to me). It also revealed to him, my name.
Though neither Phaon nor myself know if this is my proper name or one tied to my destiny.
It seems my actual name is Akbalrajulbindarkowaritalsahib.
This is, however, far too much of a mouthful.
And so, I will continue to go by the name I've always known: The Madman.
No comments:
Post a Comment